Hot water only when timer is on - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am a single woman so please forgive me if this question has been asked but I have no clue what is going on with my hot water.

Simply I have a TimeGuard ETU2000 timer and the hot water tank is in the loft. The boiler is in the front room where the fire place is (I think )

Now, I seem to only have hot water when the timer is on and the central heating kicks in. When the timer is off - there is no hot water and ofcourse no central heating. I do not see any switch for 'hot water only' its just got an on or off slider bar.

I really do not know what to do. I can only have hot water when the central heating is on.

Can someone give some advice please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The timeguard controls your immersion heater, which heats your hot water in the cylinder. If you are not getting any hot water then you have a problem with immersion heater or the timer.

When you say you get hot water if the Central heating is on, do you have another programmer for your Central Heating and Hot Water?

Thanks so much for your reply - really appreciate it!

I only get hot water when the timer is ON and I only get central heating when the timer is ON aswell - so when the timer is ON that is when I get hot water and the heating is on.

THe boiler that you have which you say is behind the fireplace. Is this a gas backboiler?

If this heats your hot water and central heating then you must have a separate programmer to control it in addition to the Timeguard.

What other controls do you have?

Sponsored Links
Yes the boiler is a back gasboiler.

I have no other controls other than that timer. Ofcourse the back boiler has got a grey turners and yellow numbered turner, but I have not touched this.

Cannot see why the 'timeguard' controls the Central Heating or how it is set up :confused: Bit difficult without more information, which I don't think you will be able to answer, but lets try.

Do you know if your hot water cylinder has a thermostat strapped to it?
Do you have a room thermostat?
Where is the central heating pump?
Do you know if there is a motorised valve (probably looks like a small silver box with two/three pipes connected to it?

Do you know if your hot water cylinder has a thermostat strapped to it?
No - would I find this on the tank in the loft?

Do you have a room thermostat?
No

Where is the central heating pump?
Not a clue - sorry :(

Do you know if there is a motorised valve (probably looks like a small silver box with two/three pipes connected to it?
Yes I have seen that in the loft - or are you referring to this box being where the timer is?

sorry I am so vague......

N
No your not being vague.

Have a look up in the loft and tell me what you see.

The hot water cylinder will probably have to pipes coming out the side of it, one at the bottom and one out of the top. About a third of the way up you may find a small box(thermostat) strapped around the cylinder.

Close to the cylinder can you see a small silver box with 2/3 pipes coming out of it and a black wire. And also can you see a pump.

Is there also a cold water tank and a smaller one up there?

N
No your not being vague.

Have a look up in the loft and tell me what you see.

The hot water cylinder will probably have to pipes coming out the side of it, one at the bottom and one out of the top. About a third of the way up you may find a small box(thermostat) strapped around the cylinder.

Close to the cylinder can you see a small silver box with 2/3 pipes coming out of it and a black wire. And also can you see a pump.

Is there also a cold water tank and a smaller one up there, higher than the hot water cylinder?

omg - sorry its so dark up there - I will have to check tomorrow when its lighter or if I can get up there by myself haha

Thank you - I will let you know tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back