Hotpoint Aquarius CTD00 T/D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No heat but drum rotates. Two thermal switches on heater unit, one (Open circuit) switches (Closes) when pressed the other (open circuit) does not .

Is this the faulty compnent?

Sponsored Links
I doubt its faulty, its probably doing its job.

t/d actualy should be cleaned and checked for lint build up

If it's a heater box with coiled wire element it'll have two thermostats mounted on a plate over it.
If this is what you have then they should both be closed circuit.
Supplied as a kit (both stats), change both noting which one goes where.

Yes, Heater box on back of t/d, two thermostats, one switches when pressed (Closes) Other does not - stays open.

If I short the non-switching one out I get heat from the element. It is the one with the white spot which is not switching.

Had enough for tonight - any suggestions on where I can get thermocouples - work near Birmingham Airport.

Price for whole unit is £45 which seems a bit much when only one bit may be faulty!

Sponsored Links
as i said there is nothing FAULTY!

it is doing its job.

I suggest you clean it and poke a vaccum cleaner inside

I have cleaned the filters, condensers, passageways etc. the heater box is clean, the motor is clean.

Cleaned the fluff out of the drier case (around drum) still doesn't heat!

I'm willing to bet that the right hand stat is open circuit (looking from the rear of the machine). You shouldn't have to press the other one to get it closed circuit either. They should both be closed circuit.
Basically the machine has got too hot and the "one shot" has tripped.
You don't need the heater complete , you only need a stat kit.
It's an extremely common fault. Meter the stats for continuity with leads disconnected from stats. If they're open circuit, they need changing.
Change them as a pair.
They work by going open circuit if they get too hot. The left hand one is self resetting, the right hand one is non resettable.

IJWS15 said:
I have cleaned the filters, condensers, passageways etc. the heater box is clean, the motor is clean.

Cleaned the fluff out of the drier case (around drum) still doesn't heat!

but did you only clean it after the stat went open

also to have cleaned it would imply it was dirty, which is why the stat went open, so as i said it was oing its job and there is nothing faulty, but agree with sleepyhead, change them both

Breezer has one cause covered, the other is not letting the drier go through it's cool down period. Opening the door and taking the laundry out while it's still hot is another cause of the stats going open circuit.

Ensure the machine and ducting is clean and clear and let the machine complete it's cycle before taking the laundry out.

hi if it is a conden,, t/d then it could be the timer. as i have had this fault before .

Not the timer. We've already established that the stats are open circuit.

Certainly looks like the stats.

Replaced the stats and working fine.

May need a front drum seal as there is a loop (3-4") of excess seal hanging at one side of the drum. Will see how it goes, and clean it every six moths or so.

£18.50 for 2 stats but Hotpoint only list the heater box at £45! With one-time overtemp cutouts this is a service engineers dream, 10 minute job for £45 parts plus labour and would not be necessary if the cut-out reset when it had cooled down (as the old ones used to).

As far as I remember there was a hole in the back of the older stats to reset them. Don't remember them being self resetting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back