House Wiring Plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a house and I am currently discovering and adding to the existing wiring. Does anyone out there know of a way of recording a domestic house wiring plan for easy reference in the future?

Whether via software or manually I think a record would be invaluable for future projects and general understanding of what comes from where!

Sponsored Links
Pencil and paper worked for me !
Any new sockets where possible make sure they're added to ring main and not too many spurs

I would definently have to agreee with scoby_beasley, except perhaps pen and paper, then you could scan it, it would be quicker than drawing it, although you could always use "MS paint"

assuming you have a pc (as oppsed to a mac) go start>find>files or folders> type "mspaint" press enter

I work with prints here at a NUKE generating plant in the states. Here is what we have. Make above view layouts of the rooms/floors in the bldg. Determine a symbol for each electrical component (ie "$" for a switch, @ for an AC receptacle (we use a circle with 2 lines through it )). Duplex receptacles would have 2 symbols together, one on top of the other. Now, walk through each room and locate all the electric devices. Don't forget the lights. Place the appropriate symbol at the correct location, on the drawing of the room layout. Do this for all rooms, closets, cooking range, fridge and other appliance recepts. (high volt recepts should have a seperate symbol). Flip switches to identify switch/light combinations. Then, draw a slight arc connecting the switch symbol to the light symbol on your drawing. (the arc distinguishes the circuit, since the room walls would most likely be straight lines). If you have switched recepts you would do the same with a small lamp, plugging into the switched recepts one at a time. The next trick is to identify the circuit or breaker feeding the loads. This is best done with more than one individual. Turn all the lights on in the area. Open the labeled breaker, or the one you think it is. When the lights go out in the room, have your friend yell to the individual at the feed box to stop cycling breakers. Identify the light/lights that went out by placing the breaker number (B1, B2....) next to the switch/light symbols. Repeat this for all receptacles using some plug in lamps. For hot receptacles, draw an arc to tie all the recepts together. When done you can relabel all the breakers with accurate descriptions, and your schematic can be redrawn while you enjoy a stout ale. Good luck to you & British Energy.
Mark

Sponsored Links
Thanks Turnburn and welcome to a veryl website full of very helpful guys (and girls)

Glyn1959, did you know if you make a typing error (and you notice it immeadiatly after posting) you can edit it and no one will know, saves you posting twice after you have posted you (and only you) can see the
icon_edit.gif
button in your post, click on this and edit away

one day there will be forum software with spell checker...........one day

hmmmm maybe one day should 've been hmmmm maybe today !

Didn't have spell check then ! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back