house wiring to pendant lights

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I sem to have no earth to my ceiling lights or wall switches - the cables are two single core, red insulated wires, with no outer sheaf.

The sockets all have earth, and are in modern cable - ie 3 core with outer sheaf.

Is this an issue for my lights? I don't have any metal fittings, all plastic.

We are having some major work doen later this year, so will have a spark in the house, moving consumer board, etc, so he can check but just want to know what I might be in for!

Sponsored Links
Is it an ex council house?

Can you post up a couple of pictures as examples?

no, not ex-council - circa 100 yrs old, as I said has been rewired in the past

The light wiring is all in metal conduit if that makes a difference?

will get a picture on

Sponsored Links
The light wiring is all in metal conduit if that makes a difference?

Ah-ha! Good. This should provide an earth BUT get it tested before relying on it. If a visual check shows all joints are ok etc, then it should be fine.

You'll only have two reds at the switches, because these are live and switched live. You'll only have a switched live and one or 2 neutrals at each fitting.

so, by the sounds of it I should be okay if the metal conduit is still in decent condition? I will get the spark to do a full check in any event

thanks

Unless your consumer unit is less than 2 years old it will very likely need updating or changing as part of the new works.

If changing the board, your electrician should firstly do a Periodic Inspection Report. If done properly, this will highlight and issues such as missing earths.

Also see this useful best practise guide: http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/business-and-community/electrical-industry/BPG1_08.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back