how 2 run a CH feed from celing down the wall 2 New Rad ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

just looking over the CH in my house and really need to put in a Rad into a room that had no rad the start with?

( no idea as to why? as we bought the house like this )

i think the original room had only ever 1 large rad, and it was used for the room when it had a stud wall put in? and hence the lack of a rad in the other half of the original room.

but anyhow I am looking for advice re the install for a new rad in the room, and upon stripping back the old plaster and celing i have found a blanked off "hot in" and "cold out" CH pipes above the room under the old plasterboard? they are right where i need or would like the pipes to come down from.

me question is this..

how do i run the 15mm pipes down the wall to the bottom of a new rad? looking for clean lines and no visible pipework

1- do i chase it into the brick work?
2- do i box it in

or summin else

please advise

Sponsored Links
decisions decisions decisions.
It your house your time your money.
Why not have a look how the rest of the rads. are piped up and do it the same.

thank you for your thoughts on the matter

i have laminate flooring.. for reason No.1 over all the ground floor.
the nearest pipework that runs under the floor at the end of the original room about 8mtrs away.. reason No.2
reason No.3 is a stud wall is also in the way!
and reason No.4 is that right above where i was planning to locate the new rad, I found CH capped pipes that i can use?.
and reason No.5 the floor is concrete? so messy and labour intensive no to mention the lam flooring again.
oh and reason No.6 is that we have 4 kids that would simply not make it an easy option to do anything messy or time consuming, as i need a quick and simply solution

so back to my OP.. can I bring it down the wall? and if so.. which is the best way to do it? boxed in.. buried, or something else

Hi,

You can buy a trunking/ pipe clip combination. You screw the pipe clips to the wall, 2 x 15mm, in your case and run the pipes, and then the trunking is clipped over the pipe clips. You will be able to get this at plumbers merchants but if you want to browse at a length they have it in B&Q.
One width of trunking covers both pipes.

andytw

Sponsored Links
Hi AndyTW

cheers for the info.. i will look into it, but i may as well box it in! I guess? as boxing can be blended into the walls and the decor more than trunking

but i will look into it in a mo

How thick is your wall?
You will need more than a 15mm depth chase down the wall, allowing for clips, plastic coating etc.... Reduce the 15 down to 10mm and chase less.
Even if you box the corner of the room to hide the pipes, you'll still see them horizontal.
10mm tube then elbows straight out to the rad valves.

Hi migem

the wall is one brick and plaster/render on it whatever that might be?

i may just box it in.. and be done with it. as it is easy and quick to do and less mess than ripping down the brick/plaster to bury the pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back