How best to deal with binding doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just painted some wooden internal doors. Prior to painting, they were pretty tight, but now they're painted they're binding on the frame/doorstop near the hinge.

How would you suggest dealing with this? I can't really plane the surface where it closes against the stop, because (a) they're nicely painted now, and (b) I'd make an awful mess of it with my dodgy (and blunt) hand plane.

Only option is to move the hinge away from the frame/doorstop a bit to free up some room. However, it would only need moving about half a screwhole diameter, so there's no chance of drilling fresh holes next to the old ones.

Any hints and tips? Should I just fill the old holes and then drill the new holes? If so, what should I fill the holes with that would be strong enough to be drillable and screwable (oor err)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can put washers or cardboard under the hinge, but then wont ot bind on the handle side.

You can either move the hinges out a fraction (plugging the old screw holes with matchsticks as you go) or remove the doors, sharpen that plane, plane, sand and repaint.
I assume the closing bead is part of the door frame, and not planted on here.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Burnerman: closing bead?

foxhole: these are solid timber doors that seem to have expanded massively since first being hung. The paint has just made it worse.

The closing bead is the part of the main door frame thats being abraded.
On a traditional door frame, this is an integral part of the frame i.e the timber is one piece. On a made up frame, the closing bead is added after the door is hung - which has many advantages! I don't know which yours is, obviously - but if its planted on the odd nail may be visible.
John :)

move the hinges out a tad,if they were binding before why did you paint them?.
now you made more work for yourself :rolleyes: live and learn m8.
if they still bind in the middle once youve moved the butts then you may have enough to sink the hinges in a bit more.
comes a point though that next time you decide to paint them you will have to remove them and plane them down a few mm and start again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back