How best to seal window exterior?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 108452
View media item 108451
View media item 108450
The 1934 house I live in is rendered with pebbledash. I hate it but can't afford to pay someone to pull it all off and render it smooth.

Anyway, these photos are from the top of the kitchen window. The gap you see above the white plastic ledge was rendered but it had blown so I pulled it out to allow air to get in and dry it out. I suspect that this is at least one source of a small amount of water that manages to get inside and shows up as damp plaster in the bottom corner of window reveals.

After leaving it to dry for a while my intention was to find some way of sealing it against the elements.

I'm thinking, rake out the old discoloured expanding foam. Fill the small gap between the big white plastic ledge and the smaller white plastic ledge above it with silicone, then expanding foam before finishing off with mortar on the face but I don't know. Perhaps the silicone is all that is required?

I personally am not happy with the way the render goes right up to the window frames but this is how it was when we bought the house and I can't afford to replace the windows.

Tempted to knock off the render all around the window frame just to see how well it is fitted and to be able to silicone any gaps.

What do you think DIYUK?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back