How can I make this fire more efficient?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a gas powered fake coal fireplace, it's basically just for show at it seems to produce very little heat. Is there a way to make it produce more heat? better coal bricks, more coal bricks etc?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2689.JPG
    IMG_2689.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately nothing you can do within the manufacture's spec (CE mark approval) will make for a marked improvement in the fires heat input into the room.

If you have the gas supply disconnected and block the flue with a plastic bag stuffed with screwed up newspaper, heated air from to room will not leave via the chimney on windy days during the heating season

Sorry its no necessarily the answer you were hoping for.

Tim

Has it been seviced recently?.Some of them are not greatly efficient but many give off sensible amounts of heat.Could be it has a vermiculite base and chimney debris has blocked it up.Could be blocked burner,blocked injector,kinked pipe etc,worth having it checked before having it capped off,many still like them as a cosy focal point especially in winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good service will help .....I used to fit fires and fireplaces ....One particular fire looked superb and hardly distinguishable from the real thing said this in the instructures

" This appliance is for decorative and not heating purposes " !!!!!

It probably just needs a service by someone that knows what they're doing a lot don't by the way !!!

Injectors out and venturi cleaned out ....If the coals near to the fire bed don't glow red hot it needs servicing ....you'll see the difference immediately !

If they don't turn up with a compressor don't expect a good job !

Sponsored Links
better coal bricks, more coal bricks etc?

thanks
If memory serves me right, those coals have to be arranged in a certain order, for safety reasons. Carbon monoxide needs to go straight up the chimney. Be careful if you end up adding more on or moving them around.

If memory serves me right, those coals have to be arranged in a certain order, for safety reasons. Carbon
It varies from fire to fire.This fire looks quite old and doubt very much any instructions are available.Many of them are quite fragile,the coals wear or the supports break etc and are expensive to renew if found.The fire in the pic looks quite an old and "unfussy" type of fire that just needs a good service.

It varies from fire to fire.This fire looks quite old and doubt very much any instructions are available.Many of them are quite fragile,the coals wear or the supports break etc and are expensive to renew if found.The fire in the pic looks quite an old and "unfussy" type of fire that just needs a good service.
Fair enough. We replaced the ones in our fire when we moved in because they were knacked. Wasn't too pricey if I remember right and had a new set of laying instructions with it. The rest of our fire was in sound condition.

Just thought I'd mention it to the OP before he started adding coals, better safe than sorry.

Sponsored Links
Back