How can you eliminate drill holes under emulsion paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After painting my living room a light magnolia I then positioned the supports for a curtain rail. Very stupidly I have made an error where I marked the three holes for drilling both supports. I have now put filler in these holes and redrilled the new holes; the supports are now up and the rail is in place and looks fine.

The trouble is no matter how much paint I put over the old drill holes I am unable to eliminate them. I used a Tetrion like filler, the stuff you get in tubs from the sheds. As the paint is a light magnolia should I have used a lighter type of plaster filler? Any recommendations appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You can never filled the holes in one goes, need to build it up then sand it down.

Hi, I had a similar problem, also has raw plug holes to fill-in in the Centre of the lounge wall !!, this may sound crazy and messy - but it works, make the holes larger in diameter(in a creater type fasion - not deeper)- wet the plaster and fill with ready made polyfiller in a tube so the filler is proud of the surface allow to dry completely and sand with a large faced electric sander. my wall looks brand new!

BoDon said:
....sand with a large faced electric sander. my wall looks brand new!

Thanks for the advice. But can I use an orbital sander to do this? (as it is all that I have available).

Sponsored Links
Sorry for not replying sooner and if you have fixed your problem already, I was busy stripping/prepping walls in my kitchen all weekend, back at 'work' now.
Not sure about your "orbital sander" avoid using it if it is a accessory to a power drill, you'll need to call in a 'plasterer' if it all goes pear shaped!
If you are stuck try using a 'sanding block' from sheds, however, I find they are too small for a proper job, I would recommend making a 'sanding block' from a smooth flat piece of timber (6"x3"x1.5") with varying grades of sand/glass paper. And remember treat your walls like you treat your wifes a** - gentle and caressing not too firm and in a circular motion the longer it takes the greater satisfaction, she'll just love the result! too rough and hasty she'll scream at you and probably get someone else to do it next time!!
Good luck.

Not like in the 'cough' ahem...films then.... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back