how do i cut off (& cap) the basin and radiator water fe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wanted to know how what is the best way to cut/cap off the watter that runs to my Wash hand basin and radiator in my cloakroom temporarily while i sort the room and change these items which woule be done at some point.

I think the pipes are 10mm

cheers

cooa99

Sponsored Links
For the wash basin, look for service valves somewhere under the basin - one each for H & C. Turn these off with a screwdriver and turn on the taps to make sure the valves have fully shut off before dismantling. If you don't have service valves, you will need to turn off the supply further back, probably whole house and then take this oppurtunity to fit some service valves so you can turn the rest of the house back on.

For radiator, just turn the radiator valves off at both ends and carefully drain down the radiator into a bucket. You loosen the nuts on the radiator side of the valves. If you need to replace the radiator valves (e.g. for a new radiator) then it's a drain down of the CH system - best left to the summer.

Sponsored Links
it is not a combi boiler, i.e. my hot water comes from a storage cylinder

dal5band,

I will check when I get home to see if the basin has a service valve but i doubt it unless it is really close to the taps themselve.

I will also check the radiator for valves at both end as well

will keep u posted

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back