how do I fix patchy paint on walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls in our house were originally painted then had blown vinyl wallpaper over the top. I've stripped the paper off the walls which pulled off some of the paint, and scraped away at the remainder to remove everything that is loose. Lastly, I power sanded it but there is still a lot of paint on the walls. The problem is that the paint is thick and the edges are square rather than being feathered with the sanding.

I'd like to paint the walls that are still sound, but we'll paper the ones that have cracks and things in them. I'm worried that the paint 'texture' will show through both the paper and the paint. What can I do to rectify the walls as they stand?

walls.jpg

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do IMO is to paper those walls with this https://www.screwfix.com/p/erfurt-white-wallrock-fibreliner-wallpaper-1000mm-x-20m/1506p its much thicker than normal paper.
get the 1m wide stuff and you will have less joins to fill because what you do next is fill any joins that you have and then paint. You may need a few extra coats but if you are careful with your filling you will not see any joins and the wall will look like its been re plastered.
With the 1m wide stuff a 3m wall will only have 2 joins. And you paste the wall for hanging it, its brilliant stuff.
When filling the very fine joins I have successfully done it with paint - using it like a filler in a filling knife.
Even when you butt join perfectly if you just paint that you will see the joins so you have to fill with a quality filler like Toupret. The filling thickness is barley nothing and then very lightly sand with 600grit but be careful not to sand the paper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back