How do I know

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When is a roof is worn out. I have an attic flat and have had two very small leaks, nothing more than stains through the flashings around two different chimney breasts. The management company's builder has repaired these but said it needs a new roof. Given the torrential rain this summer I thought the roof was doing quite well and was suprised by what he said. I had a full survey when I bought it last year and the surveyor said it was in good shape.

I can see the roof slopes and flashings quite easily by looking out the windows, can anyone tell me what I should be looking for to see if he is right.

This is what I know about the roof so far:

It was replaced in 1989

The tiles are thin asbestos and cement tiles, none of them look to be split or slipped but they are covered in lichen and a small number are either slightly curved or are lifted slightly. If you scratch the edges quite hard with a screwdriver they fray and go fluffy but none of them have frayed or split edges unless you do this.

All of the tiles have what looks like a bent wire fitting holding them in place, none of these seem to be loose or missing.

All of the flashing is lead. It looks stained but has no obvious splits in it. The valley flashing looks ok and all the gutters are plastic.

The mortar on the ridge tiles and where the flashing goes up vertical surfaces is completely sound.

There are some new concrete slates but not very many just storm damage repairs over the years.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A roof that's less than 20 years old that doesn't leak will not need replacing. This builder doesn't ride about on a pony & trap does he?

no, but he does one on you from a great height....pony+trap, that is ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back