How do i make a hole in my shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to put a vent at the back of my shed. I need a circular hole about 6 inches and then a tool to shave it a bit bigger in places. If it was normal wood, i would just drill, then use my handheld saw but the shed wood is flimsey panel and i dont want it to splinter. Is there a round saw drill attachment you can get that would do this job? Or anything else? Ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
You can get holes saws up to about 6 inches. Alternatively you can also get a board cutter.

Never knew these existed, thanks! I just measured the hole i need and it's 5.5 inches diameter, an odd shape, any thoughts on how i can enlarge the hole once i've used a hole saw?

You can get milling drill bits, I would use a jigsaw though, dont think it would splinter.

Sponsored Links
Yea buying a big holesaw will be expensive if its not something you'd use again.

My tip if your worried about splintering the thin sheet would be to cut two your hole in a piece of 12mm or thicker timber then make another one identical and screw these together one either side of your thin shed material.

so template - shed wall - template then when you cut out the hole it will not shake and damage the shed.

Lot of work for one hole but less work than dealing with big cracks or splits in the timber

All done, thanks for all your advice. I bought a hole saw, didn't realise you needed an extra bit as well that goes in the drill, so 25 quid in total. It made a hole bigger than the hole saw specification which was good. Two hours then of sanding and bingo! The wood was thicker than i initially though. Anyway, all in and missus happy :D . Tip though is not to drink whiskey the night before diy, felt pretty rough through it all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back