How does one insulate the inside of an external solid wall

AronSearle - Perhaps you could start with RH (relative humidity, to save you looking it up) and explain your theory again.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you quote the full post woody with the link, or would that not suite your argument?

AronSearle - Perhaps you could start with RH (relative humidity, to save you looking it up) and explain your theory again.

It's not a theory, again try clicking the link and readings stuff (readinz is teh hard).

The VCL goes on the warm side of the construction, not necessarily *directly* behind the plasterboard.

Why do you both seem to think condensation will form on a VCL on the warm side of the construction?

Perhaps you should both do some reading, and maybe quote me in full and dispute the 100s of details that are clearly shown in my link demonstrating my point.

/win

Why don't you quote the full post woody with the link

The link is to a humerous "let me google it" search isn't it? Hardly worth repeating.

Do you have any actual authoritive links to standards or robust details which you would like to share to support your assertion, and illustrate the construction method that you described as being acceptable?

Or just quote a reference (without googling if you could). That will do.

Sponsored Links
Click on the link, then you will see plenty of insulation and membrane manufacterer details show up with the exact detail I am describing.

Again, I am not sure why you refuse to look at the linked results or that you think condensation will form on a vapour control layer within the warm side of the construction.

I'm not doing your research for you.

EDIT:
Do you have any actual authoritive links to standards

In fact the 4th results is bunch of accredited standards.

You clearly have not read the link nor bothered to do any reading on the subject.

So I won't waste futher time correcting you.

Last edited:
You are correct nosall

Myself and all the insulation, membrane and .gov sources on my link are wrong.

Condensation will form on the surface of a warm VCL, you should warn the entire industry that their details are all wrong.

:)

AronSearle - The original post advised "Some parts of my house are solid wall' therefore we have to assume NO insulation within the structure.
Point 1 - The inside face of the wall construction would be described as cold.
Point 2 - The advise was to install a frame system of either gyp liner, tantalised batten etc to form a false wall.
Point 3 - The cavity between the inside face of the wall and what will be the back of the plasterboard would still be cold as there is still no insulation added at this point.
Point 4 - To ensure warm moist air dose not condensate with the "cold cavity" the VCL should be placed in front of the battens and behind the insulated plaster board. How in your option would you carry out the following advised by you.
Q 1 - You have quoted "The VCL goes on the warm side of the construction, not necessarily *directly* behind the plasterboard" - Please therefore explain where you would install / fix the VCL in the above situation ?

You have clearly done your homework and detailed various robust wall details, all or which are industry standard but not applicable to the advise given here on this particular wall make up. My point is not to undermine your opinion but simply to give my view.

Searle is now describing a service void within a wall to support his argument that a the vapour check does not go directly behind the plasterboard.

He's answering a different question. :confused:

You are correct nosall

Myself and all the insulation, membrane and .gov sources on my link are wrong.

Condensation will form on the surface of a warm VCL, you should warn the entire industry that their details are all wrong.

:)
Give it up bud. You know nowt about building and condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back