how far apart downlighters in bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi is there anyone who could tell me how far apart downlighters should be in a small bathroom. many thanks

Sponsored Links
There is really no min max distance, as the chap before said what ever looks good.

I hope your not intending to carry out these works your self because the work you are about to carry out is actually a criminal offence and you can be fined upto £5000

visit the niceic website at www.niceic.org.uk to find out more about the recent changes.

Also by doing this work yourself you may not be able to sell your house as you will not have the neccesary building regulations documentation.

NICEIC - if you keep this up then sooner rather than later you are going to get a metaphorical smack in the mouth.

Take a look at the name of this site.

If you are not prepared to give proper, helpful advice to DIYers then **** off.

Stupid and incorrect scare-mongering is not going to do anybody any good, it is likely to cause the petitioner to go away and do things anyway, but without the benefit of advice which could make him safe. Your attitude reminds me of the strident "just-say-no" idiots like Victoria Gillick who think that refusing sex education and contraception to under-16s will somehow stop them from having sex, rather than put them at an increased risk of STDs and unwanted pregnancies.

By all means point out what the law says (but do so accurately, rather than spout NICEIC lies), but also be prepared to give practical advice.

NICEIC said:
I hope your not intending to carry out these works your self because the work you are about to carry out is actually a criminal offence and you can be fined upto £5000
Please tell us what statute makes it a criminal offence for him to carry out this work. Refusal or inability to do so will be taken as proof that you are lying.

visit the niceic website at www.niceic.org.uk to find out more about the recent changes.
Brendat - be careful about doing that, there are a number of grossly misleading exaggerations and misinterpretations on that site.

Also by doing this work yourself you may not be able to sell your house as you will not have the neccesary building regulations documentation.
Like that one, for example.

Sponsored Links
NICEIC - Under this new law am I allowed to change my own light bulb.!
ban-all-sheds - thankyou for sticking up for me I had wondered what I had started with just one question.

Ban, whilst I agree that NICEIC's post was heavy handed and not particulaly helpful, he is in fact correct that undertaking work in a Bathroom is now covered by Part P, and if done without the correct paper trail at a later date could, in theory, leave a homeowner liable to prosecution (if they did the work) and also make it difficult, until tested and certified, for you to put your home on the market.

The Criminal Offence comment is entirely correct as not complying with the Building Regulations Act is a Criminal Offence that has very broad ranging sentencing attached to it, that could lead to £5K fines and or even imprisonment.

However as I said, the post was heavy handed and OTT as it was not balanced with some damned good common sense.

As I said - the thing to do is to point out what the Building Regulations require, not to incorrectly state that it is a criminal offence for him to fit lights in his bathroom.

So, for the record, Brendat - the regulations now require that electrical work in bathrooms (and other classes of work, but bathrooms is what's significant here) must either be notified to your local Building Control dept in advance, so that they can make arrangements to inspect & test what you've done, or must be carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the schemes run by NICEIC, ECA, NAPIT, BSI etc as someone who is competent to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations.

As was said, the maximum fine for contravention of the Building Regulations is £5K, or even imprisonment. This is not to be construed as advising you to ignore the law, but I invite you to consider, on a scale of 1 to faulty-structures-that-collapse-and-kill-people, or 1 to firetraps-that-kill-people, whereabouts adding a few downlighters into your bathroom ceiling comes, and how likely it is that Building Control would ever know, and how likely it is that when someone buys your house they will question when the lights were put in.....

And if they do question and you reply 1, 2, 3, or 5 years ago !

NICEIC said:
There is really no min max distance, as the chap before said what ever looks good.

The last time I got an NICEIC Sparks in he did such a great job I had to have it re-done. The cable was under-rated, and very badly run, (barely 3mm below surface) found this out when stripping wallpaper at later date. BANG, new scraper please.

Before I upset some of those on this forum, this is not the case with all Sparks, but I now prefer to do my own electrics, where I consult the relevant regs and/or the valuable advice from this forum & The IEE direct, if i'm not clear what the book says/means.

At least some DIYers do have the good sense to ask if they don't know, rather than go ahead and hope for the best. I feel sorry for the people who cannot afford to get a sparks in or pay BRO fees, some of their systems should have been replaced or condemed decades ago. I also believe that the IEE Regs should be available to all to read, not just those who can afford the purchase them.

Salem.

You should also not be too worried by the 5K fine thing firstly a breach of building regs in terms of a failure of notification, is only a magistrates court offence, and non inditable. So, clause 127 of the magistrates court act applies
quoting one local authority web page.
...As this offence is triable summarily, the provisions of section 127(1) of the Magistrates' Courts Act 1980 apply. There is a six-month limitation period, running from the time when the offence was committed, within which an information must be laid in the Court. This period runs, not from the date on which the offence was first committed, but on a continuing basis, so that only so much of the offence as falls within the six-month period can be charged. If, for example, the breach of the notice occurred over a period of three months, and an information is laid five months after the last day on which that breach occurred, only the third (and last) month of the period of the breach will fall within the limitation period and thus be chargeable. An information should therefore always be laid as soon as possible. Each offence is, in effect, a single offence to be charged by reference to any day or longer period. A subsequent offence may be charged by reference to a later period.

s 127 Limitation of time.
(1) Except as otherwise expressly provided by any enactment and subject to subsection (2) below, a magistrates' court shall not try an information or hear a complaint unless the information was laid, or the complaint made, within 6 months from the time when the offence was committed, or the matter of complaint arose.
(2) Nothing in:
(a) subsection (1) above; or
(b) subject to subsection (4) below, any other enactment (however framed or worded) which, as regards any offence to which it applies, would but for this section impose a time-limit on the power of a magistrates' court to try an information summarily or impose a limitation on the time for taking summary proceedings,
shall apply in relation to any indictable offence.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (b) of subsection (2) above, that paragraph includes enactments which impose a time-limit that applies only in certain circumstances (for example, where the proceedings are not instituted by or with the consent of the Director of Public Prosecutions or some other specified authority).
(4) Where, as regards any indictable offence, there is imposed by any enactment (however framed or worked, and whether falling within subsection (2) (b) above or not) a limitation on the time for taking proceedings on indictment for that offence no summary proceedings for that offence shall be taken after the latest time for taking proceedings on indictment.

If your not moving house for a bit I wouldn't get too worried. However, this is no excuse for wiring that is not as good as a professional would have done, i.e. by the book. - If its actually dangerous this protection does not apply - as was always true, if you do something that hurts someone, they have a right to seek redress.
just the legal state clarified/muddied :LOL:

post locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back