How Long Should CH Take?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know noone is going to be able to give me a precise figure, but a rough estimate would be good.

How quickly would you expect a decent central heating setup i.e. adequate boiler with appropriately sized radiators, to heat up a house?

I'm sure there is a rough guideline figure that people would expect, i.e. a rise of 1C should take X minutes assuming an outside temperature of Y, or such?

Sponsored Links
Depends on your house. insulation etc.

Modern house with latest insulation double glazing etc will heat up in 30- 40 mins.

It all depends on what the client wants.
If/when I design and build the whole system from scratch, I always recommend "oversized" rads, not mounted under the windows, but against interior walls.
Come home after a week of wintersport with the house on no more than frost protection, and it takes about half an hour to go from stone cold to "ooh, that's nice".
If someone insists on "normal" size rads under the victorian sash windows with Beaufort 8, it will be damn site longer even though the system is calculated "correctly".

Sponsored Links
one hour - that's my vote
Easier with 4°C back-off rather than turning off completely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back