How many appliances can I run off a single house socket?

Could too many devices on a single socket cause the PSU to blow then, if the power drawn exceeds 13A?

Sponsored Links
no.

your PSU has sod all to do with whatever else is plugged in, the worst that will happen is you blow the 13A fuse in the extension lead..

the reason your PSU is failing is that you are shutting it down every night..
mush like everything else, there is a greater strain on the components when you start or stop something than there is once it's all running..( which is why PSU's tend to go either on startup or on shutdown, as they've done twice to my brother.. turn it off one night and it just wouldn't come back on.. new psu and it all comes back to life.. )

you might want to look into round cables in the pc rather than flat and a few additional fans, it might be poor air flow causing the psu to overheat..

Sponsored Links
Thanks, it's definitely not overheating because I just received the PSU and other components back from repair. I hadn't ran the machine it was booting from cold (and didn't boot).

Never heard of round cables before, how does that work?

all those big flat IDE cables interupt th air flow over the components, so then made rounf ones so the air can move freely round them..

think sail and mast..

Some people say those round cables can be worse because the wires are all grouped closer together with no air space :cool:

Some people say those round cables can be worse because the wires are all grouped closer together with no air space :cool:

Actually it's because of the lack of a ground wire between signal wires on PATA cables. They're twisted with ground wires instead. I've never had an issue with them myself. Of course if they're on about airflow they're just plain stupid.

No PC with a GTX 280 should have PATA devices in it anyway. Excluding mine, because I'm special (and know how to route a ribbon cable properly).

Thanks, it's definitely not overheating because I just received the PSU and other components back from repair. I hadn't ran the machine it was booting from cold (and didn't boot).

heat soak after switch off, i have a server in work with a 12 year uptime :LOL:

High power PSUs normally fail due to the heat still in the PSU box when the pc is switched off.
The PSU cooling fan stops but the heat is still there baking the components.
This overtime reduces the service life of components.

The better quality PSU have a fan overrun so that after the PC is turned off the main cooling fan runs for a futher 5-10 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back