How many days to dig these footings ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My strip footings are 20meters x 1300mm deep x 600mm wide, there will be two men, 1.5 ton digger & skip loader, the skip and footings are within 10 meters so no access restrictions at all. Could someone please give me an idea on how many days in dry weather this should take ?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
My strip footings are 20meters x 1300mm deep x 600mm wide, there will be two men, 1.5 ton digger & skip loader, the skip and footings are within 10 meters so no access restrictions at all. Could someone please give me an idea on how many days in dry weather this should take ?
Many thanks
Probably knock it off in a day, provided no drains, cables or pipes are struck and the trenches behave themselves. Oh….and there is room for four skips or a lot of spoil. Don’t forget to grade off the over site whilst the machine is on site,

Be a lot easier with a 2.7 to 3.5 ton'er. 1.5 is a bit of a teaspoon for that job. Does the person driving the machine know what they're doing or is the "two men" you and a mate, both who are green to wielding plant?

Sponsored Links
Just trying to gage how long it will take with
Two experienced operators ?

Originally the depth was supposed to be 1meter which my proposed builder had quoted me for but building control have advised that We go another 800mm as a nearby tree is within 8 meters of the foundation. Does anybody have a rough estimate on how much extra the builder is likely to charge on the 9cubic meters of extra depth obviously more skips and cement / labour to take into account.
Thanks

Is there access for a grab lorry.

Lot cheaper than skips

9cubic meters of extra depth

I would allow 50% bulking factor as soil fluffs up a lot when it’s dug up (unless you are one of those builders that uses a whacker plate on the skip)

Originally the depth was supposed to be 1meter which my proposed builder had quoted me for but building control have advised that We go another 800mm as a nearby tree is within 8 meters of the foundation. Does anybody have a rough estimate on how much extra the builder is likely to charge on the 9cubic meters of extra depth obviously more skips and cement / labour to take into account.
Thanks
To dig beyond a meter, becomes exponentially more difficult and expensive. Doubling the depth means more than doubling the cost. Much more. Each 100 mmm in depth the difficulty multiplies. If the ground is tough at that depth then you may need a machine with more oomph - like a 3 tonner.

Having said that, 1.3m is not silly depth, but expect the costs to rise considerably. 1m dig is relatively easy.

If it's 1800 it's a lot to remove. Would BC not let you just do a deeper section nearest the tree?

it’s to judge how much extra to to pay for another 800mm depth over 20meters.
Thanks for your input if you have any idea

it’s to judge how much extra to to pay for another 800mm depth over 20meters.
Thanks for your input if you have any idea
More than double, I'd say, as long as the ground is stable and there are no services crossing the trenches. You break anything at those depths and it is right ball ache.

Have you paid for a survey? A lot of machine operators will not be responsible for underground services, if there is no survey.

That depth should be shored. If you are charged double the original quote you would be very lucky, and 2.5x may be more realistic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back