How many layers of bricks build in one go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a wall buttress with base 645 x 615 and 1.5 m tall. I estimate to build 19 layers of bricks with 18 bricks in each layer. Can I build it all in one go? Or the mortar on the lower layers will be compressed from the weight?

Sponsored Links
It will depend largely on the type of brick, the weather conditions and the muck you are using.

In the heat of the summer - yes, no problems unless you have an extremely hard brick or you are a rapid bricklayer.

On a damp cold winters day with hard engineering bricks, 7- 10 courses max.

Get your bricks out of the rain if they're not already - chuck a DPM over them, and ideally expose them on the sunny days to dry them out as much as possible.

I am using 5:1:1 mortar mix. I think I will build half on Saturday morning and finish on Sunday afternoon. I keep the bricks dry, though, would it be better if they are a bit wet for the mortar cure?

Sponsored Links
Depends on what type of bricks you are using as to whether or not they are better damp.

Depends on what type of bricks you are using as to whether or not they are better damp.

I am using Estuary Yellow Reclaimed Facing Brick. for the first layer I will use engineering bricks.

I am using Estuary Yellow Reclaimed Facing Brick. for the first layer I will use engineering bricks.
Low absorbant bricks like engineering are better kept dry, whereas some of the older soft more absorbant ones can benefit from being slightly damp. Years ago when bricks were usually softer and lime mortar was used the rule of thumb was damp but surface dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back