How many spurs?

AJW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a spur running from a double socket of the main ring, it's for an intergrated cooker hood. I also need to wire in some low voltage under cupboard lights. Can I run another 3 pin socket from the fused spur for these lights?

Sponsored Links
No, you cannot do what you have suggested, A spur can only supply one socket outlet. (a double socket outlet is acceptable). Also your socket is most likely protected by a 32A MCB/RCD.
This 32A is two high for 1.5sq lighting cable, Light units, transformers etc. Lights should not be protected by the RCD.
Despite all this, it is bad practice, You can supply lights from a three pin lighting socket but it would be advisable to simply take you power from the nearest ceiling rose. Use 1.5sq twin and earth Cable.

AA213SS.jpg

From this (above) which is in your kitchen now, into (below)

CM2365.jpg

From this you can connect as many sockets as you like as the rating of the fuse is lower than the rating of the cable (2.5mm).
So connect 2.5mm into (below) that will do the hood, then from this..

CM2346.jpg

Into this (below) which will be rated at 5Amp
CM2365.jpg

So you can wire your lights in 1.5mm or suitable rated flex.

XLL20W.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back