How much should I expect to pay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to replace my Baxi WM351 system boiler and was looking at a Worcester 28i Junior combi as the replacement. It needs to be sited approx 3 feet from where the Baxi is onto an adjoining wall. My question is how much should I expect to pay for this job approx? I have had a quote for £1800 without any thermostat or TRVs (based on 1 days labour). I've priced up the boiler from a local plumbing merchant and it's £820 inc VAT, flue and mechanical clock. Extension flue is £55. 30m of 22mm pipe £75.

So labour for 2 guys one day is over £750. Is that daily rate of £375 each correct? If so, I'm in the wrong job! lol.

What materials other than 22mm pipe and fittings would there be?

I understand its difficult to comment without seeing the job but approx costs would be much appreciated.

The 15mm pipe needs to be changed to 22mm from the meter (approx 8m away) but all the hot, cold, flow and return pipework is already there.

Apologies for all the questions but and any replies would be appreciated by this confused newbie!!

Nigel

Sponsored Links
£1800 is a reasonable price if fitting a decent boiler and flushing at the same time; BG would charge nearer to £3000!

You must remember that we aren't simply selling you our labour. We do make a profit on boilers etc.. When I started out, it was normal for retail customers to pay retail price and you would not have paid trade price for a boiler. I usually make the sort of money you have been quoted. This may seem excessive to you but I do not make a fortune year on year. For every boiler I get, I have often the best part of a day's unchargeable time. I have just gained (I hope) two very profitable jobs but I have visited one of the clients four times. I have had to explain in detail the different options in a way he could understand.

The plumber is your retailer. He is taking responsibility for what he sells and if it all goes wrong he is the one that will carry the can. Let him have a profit.

£1800 isn't excessive. Ring around and you will get bigger prices. You may pay less but how willing will the fitter be to come back.

Sponsored Links
If you think 40-odd pound an hour is a lot, best to sell your car and go by bus; you wouldn't want to have to look at the garage bill.

OP. I can only assume you have had a single price.....get more if your u unsure but 1.8k isn't steep.....as for additional materials, chemicals, condensate pipe and run, magnaclean, earthbonding, registering etc etc.......Note if a customer of mine wishes to buy the boiler thats fine.....but if it faults or has issues they are chargeable or warranty.....don't expect me to come out for free

I have used my rule of thumb for pricing budgetary quotes which we give by phone or email as we dont make free visits as thats unproductive and does not enable us to be so competitive!

My price comes to £2195 but that does exclude parking costs and takes no account of needing to move the boiler by 900 mm.

So my conclusion is that the price you have been quoted is very competitive indeed.

Apart from peace of mind, I dont see any advantage in getting any other quoted PROVIDING the installer is gas safe registered HIMSELF and the price includes whatever cleaning of the system is needed.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back