How much should it cost me to have a pump installed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much should it cost me to have a new pump installed ? possibly a Grundfos 15/50 will be used ?

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
is it replacing an old one? providing the isolating valves work, which from what ive done is not common, then about an hours work, depending if it needs draining a bit.

wouldn't of thought more than £125

Thanks for your reply....it will be replacing the old one as it is ticking and is red hot so ive been told its knackered. If anything else needs replacing how much will that cost ?

please note forum rule 9

And if you have 1/4 turn isolators which never work, and the whole system has to be drained, and it won't refill properly, that's a day's work if you're unlucky. Maybe £300 or more depending where you are.

Sponsored Links
SJR1 said:
Thanks for your reply....it will be replacing the old one as it is ticking and is red hot so ive been told its knackered. If anything else needs replacing how much will that cost ?

if your replacing it yourself it wil cost the cost of materials and thats it, usually 2 new gate valves which cost http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=19987&ts=99241

if your getting someone in to do it, what ever they charge ;)

ChrisR said:
And if you have 1/4 turn isolators which never work, and the whole system has to be drained, and it won't refill properly, that's a day's work if you're unlucky. Maybe £300 or more depending where you are.

Not if you bung the system to change them......no more than an hour for pump and valves.

lol, who knows?. Do the valves need cutting off?, is it behind a cylinder?, under the floor? is it a big old blue one on steel pipes?, is there access to the header tank?, will it bung?

Cant see....cant quote.

I had a customer today moaning that a new hob fit was a 25 quid job and not what I had estimated.

A lot a factors determime every plumbing job.

Dave

Soggy_weetabix said:
Cant see....cant quote.

I had a customer today moaning that a new hob fit was a 25 quid job and not what I had estimated.

A lot a factors determime every plumbing job.

Dave

a shame it isnt 25 quid to get corgi then and they could of done it :eek:

SJR1 said:
How much should it cost me to have a new pump installed ? possibly a Grundfos 15/50 will be used ?
What are the symptoms of the problem that you want help solving?

Last 2 pumps I did were London flats - no sign of a header tank to bung. You turn off whatever stop cocks you can find, attach a drain and hope, while looking for more stop cocks.
Sometimes the supply has a valve in the flat below, sometimes not at all...
Quite often the header is on the roof, which has no access, and is sealed in with roofing felt. I know one which has to be turned off or the float valve lets by. So every six months you turn the stop cock on until you see the overflow running, and turn it off. How much to change a washer - 5 or more floors up?!

If your replacing it yourself, make sure you put the correct fuse in the electric line (usually about 1-3amps)

I have seen one connected by a 13 amp plug with a 13 amp fuse , seized up (not a Grunfos) and smoking away, left much longer it would have caught fire I shouldnt wonder.
Obviously a lower rated fuse would have broken before this would have been allowed to happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back