How muchish for a 30m long 1m high stone wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to put up another post when I have pics, but I have a 30m 1m high brick wall right now, holding back a mini-hill (rising about 8ft over the top of the bricks).
The bricks are standard (given my limited knowledge) house bricks and the fascias are bursting off and the wall is obviously bulging at the ends and in various other parts. I doubt it will survive another year.
The wall does have drainage slots at the bottom but it seems obvious to my amateur eye that the wrong materials have been used.

We've only been in the house for just over a year and I've been wondering what would do a better job and today saw a wall comprised of large stones, concreted(??) together. With drainage holes, that seemed a far more robust solution and the stones were a good 45cm deep, which seemed a better option than the housebricks currently in use.

So, a couple of questions; 1) can anyone give me a ballpark cost for a professional to build the new wall?
2) thinking about retaining the hill, could the stone wall be built in front of the bricks or would the bricks need to be removed?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Thanks FMT

Space is relatively tight at one pinch point, but I'm aware that with the weight of the hill (which leads up to Network Rail property!) and the rain, it may be easy to make the same mistake again but just on a larger scale.
I'd considered Gabions too - I guess I need to get a couple of contractors in to look at it!

Here's a different question, then; with the limited info that I've provided, does this sound like a job for a landscape gardener or a builder?

Don;t be fooled into thinking the existing wall is small. It probably extends back into 9 or even 13'' blockwork with a brick face. Then taking into account the massive chunk of hill that will needs shoring up should you remove the existing then building in front may be a better and much cheaper option.

Obviously this is only worth considering if it is definately structurally sound.

A builder or hard landscaper will probably do but i'd dare to venture a landscaper will have more experience with retaining walls specifically.

Sponsored Links
Wise words, r896neo - thanks.

I presumed that it would be easier to build in front of the existing wall - will get a couple of landscapers in to have a look.

Or dig out behind the wall and see what you got? If it hasn't got a substantial retaining wall behind the brick, you might be able to put one in (4 inch block on their flat as mentioned above). Then just re-point the existing wall, will that work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back