How old is my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

As you may have read in some other posts, I have just moved into a house that has a Valliant combi boiler (either a 242/1E or a 282/1E, not sure which, is there an identification plate somewhere?)

Anyway, for purposes of breakdown insurance Direct Line have estimated the boiler at 10 years old, which I severly doubt. However, I have no proof otherwise unless any of you clever people can point out that they didn't start manufacturing that type of boiler until 2001 or something.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Open the black door downwards after undoing the one screw (may have to lift white case a bit). The numbers are on the back of the electrics box (I think!)
The first of the turbomaxes came out in 95. Get the GC number or full number starting VUW... The /1E wasn't the first version.
Then call Vaillant! Tech support line is probably best

I remember that the year and month is hidden within one of the two "serial numbers".

Vaillant tech told me and I got my trainee to write it down but he did not recall that he was due somewhere this morning so recalling that info is likely!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
You will be well advised to put the monthly premium into a bank account and look for a GOOD heating engineer at the same time. When your boiler does break down, you will be at the mercy of the engineer that calls (subcontracted by the service provider).

Alternatively deal with Vaillant directly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back