How particular are planners re distances from boundary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, This is a side extension im talking about. The Architect said building it 1m from the side fence was the closest you can build. On the plan hes drawn it so the window cills are 1m, so I presume thats where its measured from? Since planning was granted next door have replaced part of the fence and a couple of the posts are now about 100mm closer than before. Im now not sure if I should say something to the officer or measure from one of the other posts or what. The extension is already going to be a bit narrow but I dont want problems once its built. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
what rule is he claiming on the 1 metre distance -Im not sure of any planning rule that dictates that

Is the gap the only way to get to the rear garden? -maybe its an access thing

there is a 1 metre rule in building regs -you need to have fireproof materials if closer than 1 metre

100mm isn't going to be an issue unless someone reports it.

The planners don't get involved once permission is given unless someone reports you, if someone does then they will look at it but usually common sense prevails.

I assume the fence formed the boundary and as such are you saying the neighbours have moved the fence further onto your property taking part of your land?

what rule is he claiming on the 1 metre distance -Im not sure of any planning rule that dictates that

Is the gap the only way to get to the rear garden? -maybe its an access thing

there is a 1 metre rule in building regs need to have fireproof materials if closer than 1 metre
I'm not sure what rule he meant. Maybe the one you mentioned about fire was it. But I got the impression he thought planning permission would be less likely without a metre gap.
I've had a measure up. I think there's one post that's a problem the rest are ok. I'd like to use them as my guide.

Sponsored Links
100mm isn't going to be an issue unless someone reports it.

The planners don't get involved once permission is given unless someone reports you, if someone does then they will look at it but usually common sense prevails.

I assume the fence formed the boundary and as such are you saying the neighbours have moved the fence further onto your property taking part of your land?
Yes they've repositioned it slightly. Maybe by accident, don't think they're that keen on the extension though

Then build your extension and if there's any issues tell your neighbours to put the fence back where it's supposed to be not encroaching on your land then there is no issue

The 1m is to the boundary not any fence. A fence line is not a boundary line.
So me and the neighbour arent going to be sure where it actually is if the little I know about it is correct. I remember with my last place the solicitor doing the conveyance said that to be sure you have to hire a surveyor to do a proper search and measure?
I viewed down the fence yesterday and saw that the fence isnt straight, it zig zags a bit at that particular point.
If anyone has any thoughts on whether I should have the windowsills or the walls a metre from the boundary id love to know. I assume im reading too much into the drawing?

Last edited:
I believe the 1m is a fairly standard/arbitrary "setback" as the planners don't like semi's being joined together. Obviously if it's single storey you might get closer with PD.

So me and the neighbour arent going to be sure where it actually is if the little I know about it is correct. I remember with my last place the solicitor doing the conveyance said that to be sure you have to hire a surveyor to do a proper search and measure?
I viewed down the fence yesterday and saw that the fence isnt straight, it zig zags a bit at that particular point.
If anyone has any thoughts on whether I should have the windowsills or the walls a metre from the boundary id love to know. I assume im reading too much into the drawing?
Best thing to do is confirm with your Architect that the planning policy is in fact 1m or a "suggested" 1m (which could be say, 900mm if need be). And is it a policy of both neighbours needing to keep 1m from a boundary or can one actually build up to the boundary and the other then denied this.

However, be aware that the 1m to a boundary is normally at first floor level, and at ground floor extensions can go up to the boundary. Check the local policy

Typically, the planners require separation and a space between properties to avoid them looking joined up, or known as "terracing". The distance is often not prescriptive, and whilst 1m is mentioned it can be less or more depending in the site specifics.

Whatever the distance is, it's to the wall face, not any projections.

If the properties are a typical say, row of semis with a fence and passageway each side, the legal boundary, and also the dividing boundary for planning purposes would tend to be half the distance between each property wall. But these two could differ.

Building regulations is a definitive 1m between the wall face and the boundary. In this case the boundary can be determined by the concepts of a notional and a relevant boundary, but this only an issue in terms of the openings in the wall facing a boundary, not the position of that wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back