How strict is planning permission in a conservation area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I know this is a somewhat vague question.

I know for example PD rights are thrown out of the window and now everything requires full PP but just how much more difficult is it to get that PP?

For example I have an Edwardian semi that has about 11ft all the way down the side. At present it has a non original dilapidated garage on it.

My plan was to knock it down and build a ground floor extension that starts 1.7m staggered back from the front of the house. There will be a part first floor element and this would be staggered back 7.5m from the front of house.

It would run down the entire side of my property so about 50ft and I would be leaving one meter side access.

I am miles clear of all 45 degree sunlight angles.

All tiles, render would be matched to existing.

There would be no flat roofs.

Would this sort of proposal be immediately rejected in a CA just because it would change the way the property looked?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, if it complies with the local plan guidelines it should be approved. That means its size would need to be within the guidelines too. Have a chat with the planers.

No, if it complies with the local plan guidelines it should be approved. That means its size would need to be within the guidelines too. Have a chat with the planers.

Thanks Freddy, but what do you mean about the size being within 'guidelines'? I've never seen actual sizes quoted in planning guidance for side extensions (except in PD rules)

When rejected though I've seen the council give reasons like 'too bulky and out of keeping with other properties' etc

My area is about to become a CA so I'm trying to get my plans in before it happens. The consultation process finished last week and they report to the area 2 committee mid Nov, so it will happen some tie after that. I'm hoping the final sign of won't happen until after Xmas.

My plans get submitted on Monday so i'm hoping to get in before it happens, but there is fair chance that I don't manage it so wanted to know how difficult things might become.

On the consultation document the council produced it gave certain examples of the sort of 'bad design practice' that I presume it wants to prevent with CA status. They mentioned

1) Side extensions visible from the road

2) Roof lights on the front elevation.

This worried me, how many houses can have a side extension that is not visible from the highway? I read into it that only rear extensions would be approved, or can't they do that under CA powers?

Thanks again for your kind advice

Would this sort of proposal be immediately rejected in a CA just because it would change the way the property looked?
No, not automatically; they are meant to look at things in context. However, it also depends on what your Council is like (I have had all sorts of issues with our Conservation Officer who says "that will be OK" then turns down the formal application!). I suspect that becoming a conservation area will not change things much - if that's about to happen then they might well look harder at things being slipped in now. Speak to your planners and the CO

Sponsored Links
No, not automatically; they are meant to look at things in context. However, it also depends on what your Council is like (I have had all sorts of issues with our Conservation Officer who says "that will be OK" then turns down the formal application!). I suspect that becoming a conservation area will not change things much - if that's about to happen then they might well look harder at things being slipped in now. Speak to your planners and the CO

Thanks.

When I spoke to them they assured me that until the CA status was fully signed off that all PP applications would be dealt with normally.

They did say however that if CA status was signed off whilst my PP was say half way through being processed it would then become a material consideration

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back