How tight should a fitted carpet be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a carpet fitted two weeks ago but I am not happy with the fitting. I don't think the carpet is tight enough on the grippers. In a few places the carpet looks fine and completely flat but mostly the carpet bulges up a few inches from the gripper and in a few places I can lift the carpet off the gripper with my fingers. I called the fitter back but he was quite hostile and said it was ok. I then called in the guy from CarpetRight and he also said the carpet was fitted correctly. So my question is - just how tight should a carpet be and how do I judge this? Any advice please.

Sponsored Links
thats not right,i am not a carpet fitter but i have fitted my carpets with a stretcher and its not a time served art.but i have had my downstairs carpets fitted properly and i could say its tight,but got some lift but not much,but if its loose at the edges by inches its not right,maybe he made big mistakes on cutting.get him back

I am a carpet fitter if the carpet has gone puffy around the edges then you need to call the fitter back to restrech the carpet . And in answer to your question as to how tight a carpet should be stretced in most cases its drum tight hope this helps :LOL:

All carpets when fitted should remain on the gripper, if you can pull it up with your fingers it is wrong. :rolleyes:

url removed see 14, forum rules

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for the replies. After I complained to Carpetright head office the local manager (Ilford, Essex) brought the fitter back again this week but again they would not accept anything was wrong. The fitter said he had been fitting carpets like this for thirty years. I won't buy from Carpetright again. By the way, the previous carpet (the one I replaced) was so tight I could not remove it without cutting it first.

curious as what you plan to do now?
'Loose' carpet will damage easier, I think, plus you didn't get what you've paid for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back