how to block up ridge vent chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm in the process of removing a gas fire, and need to block off the chimney, which is a ridge vent type connected to an aluminum flue in the loft.

What is the best way to seal up the ridge vent?

Can i do it from inside the loft by disconencting the flue pipework?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Not successfully often undoing the fixing bolts will loosen off the top section it might end up sliding down the roof. The main body will be cemented to the roof.
I had this problem when the boiler was changed. Worried that water might come in I spoke to a couple of roofers (who wanted an arm and a leg to do it) but both said it was ok to leave open, as did the boiler installer.

In the end I left it and placed a large plastic crate underneath in case rain came in after a year there was no sign of water getting in so I just left it as additional loft ventilation :D

The aluminium pipe is probably galvanized steel but be careful it is not connected to any asbestos pipe at any point if you are removing it.

Sponsored Links
I have fitted a few and its not necessary to remove once the fire is taken out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back