How to build my own garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, i want to build my own single brick breeze block garage with a flat roof, i am going to render and pebble dash it, i have no building/brick laying experience, but i am quite good at DIY, anyone got any good diagrams that could explain in simple terms how i should go about it, or links to any good sites :)
thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Consider building in five stages.

Foundations/drains (storm).

Masonry up to dpc.

Oversite.

Masonry above dpc.

Roof.

Have a plan in place to get the concrete into the foundation trench so that the trenches are not open for any length of time to avoid problems with collapsing sides.

Don't underestimate the foundations just because it is a garage. Be aware that you may need to incorporate pillars if you are building single block so adjust the foundation trenches to suit.

Use 7n dense blocks and class B engineering bricks below dpc. you are likely to show a minimum of 3 courses of facing brick below dpc.

Fit a wall plate to the wall top so that (holding-down) strapping is made simpler.

Plan to render the walls in the better weather.

Consider building in five stages.

Foundations/drains (storm).

Masonry up to dpc.

Oversite.

Masonry above dpc.

Roof.

Have a plan in place to get the concrete into the foundation trench so that the trenches are not open for any length of time to avoid problems with collapsing sides.

Don't underestimate the foundations just because it is a garage. Be aware that you may need to incorporate pillars if you are building single block so adjust the foundation trenches to suit.

Use 7n dense blocks and class B engineering bricks below dpc. you are likely to show a minimum of 3 courses of facing brick below dpc.

Fit a wall plate to the wall top so that (holding-down) strapping is made simpler.

Plan to render the walls in the better weather.

Thanks for that advice Noseall, but i was planning on building off a solid concrete garage base. not just the footings first.. perhaps 6 inch thick, i have to go from ground level at the path, and dig into an incline of 3 1/2 feet of soil 14 feet from the path, so i will have soil against the wall which i will have to use a membrane on.....is it called tanking..?

i was planning on building off a solid concrete garage base. not just the footings first.. perhaps 6 inch thick, i have to go from ground level at the path, and dig into an incline of 3 1/2 feet of soil 14 feet from the path, so i will have soil against the wall which i will have to use a membrane on.....is it called tanking..?

Ahh the plot thickens.

You need to consider what you do carefully as this changes the complexion of the job.

Building a raft foundation is not always as simple as casting a thick slab.

Retaining over a metre of soil needs a bit of thought.

There is more to tanking than putting a bit of polythene against the wall.

For example, a raft foundation coupled with a single skin wall may not be suitable for retaining soil.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back