How to check a wall is straight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I'm sure this is a dead basic question for most of you guys on here, so firstly apologies for that!
So, I'm putting up a new stud work against an exposed brick wall. However the wall looks as though it runs off along its length.
I want to make sure the new stud wall is build straight. So I need to work out how far out the brick wall is.
How do I do this?
My spirit level obviously tells me the vertical straightness but not along its length. I assume its a Laser I need?? But is there a trick to doing this without a laser?
I have thought of measuring off the opposite wall, but pretty sure thats off too.

Thanks in adavance

Sponsored Links
Doggit is spot on but another useful rough technique is simply put your eye next to the wall and look along it.
Bear in mind the new stud work doesn't have to be perfectly straight, although it would clearly be simpler to board if it is!

Sponsored Links
Also putting your six foot level horizontally over the top of the studs as you go and you'll start to see if they're running out by a mm or two each stud.

You could always use a water level (my favourite tool of all time)

Useless in this situation, but basically a magic tool.:LOL:

We use a laser, the eye, lines, builders square etc depending upon the situation. Don't automatically assume adjacent walls are square, or that the floor joists or floor boards are particularly square, but they may be a good indicator when something is miles out.
The job we are doing at the moment is 10m long, as is the sole plate that everything is built off. I took dozens of measurements off exiting walls, rafters, joists etc before I was happy the sole plate was in the correct position and didn't rely on any one particular parameter.

If i’ve understood correctly, can you measure the diagonals?

If i’ve understood correctly, can you measure the diagonals?
If you can accurately take right angles off two points on oposite wall with a decent distance between them and assuming its a dead straight wall to start with, then I supose one could? but as said, there are easier ways
litl

Surely if you are putting up a new stud wall, the most important thing is that it is either parallel off an opposite wall or square off adjacent walls, and not whether the brick wall it is up against is straight or not?

If the plan is to attach the stud to the wall and use packings/shims to correct it where necessary then I suggest you start with the first and last stud fitted plumb then string lines between them and make sure an offcut of stud will pass behind the line. If not, pack out one end stud or both to suit

It may be over the top for most but in the end you should get a straight and plumb set of studs by packing out the end ones as necessary and lining the rest inbetween. You will need a bag load of shims/packers though!
e.g. https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p46640?searchstr=packer or timber packers to suit.

Great post by blagard but just to introduce another idea, if you'll use too many packers due to large gaps I've found folding wedges work really well for packing out gaps precisely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back