How to check & repair old cast iron radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got this cast iron radiator locally, and the lady said they used to work well but didn't know too much about them. I really like the look of them and want to replace all my steel panel radiators. However are they too much trouble to use nowadays?

For this particular one, I can see some rusting around a gasket and bush end, see photo. This is around the bleed valve, so the rush might just be from the bleeding. Is there any simple way to test if it leaks?

And if there's any issue, where can I get replacement bush end/bleed valve for it?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_9559.JPG
    IMG_9559.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
They're very heavy for starters. They're also quite fragile- a careless knock with anything hard can fracture them.
The rust is unlikely to be from bleeding, more likely the 80 year old washer is rock hard and not really sealing any more. Carefully remove the end cap ( penetrating oil, blowlamp, gradually applied torque), replace washer, clean the threads up, replace.
Pipe unions at the bottom- quite likely originally fitted with iron or steel threaded tube (not copper). You'll be able to get converters at a good trade outlet (Crosslings up here). You might get lucky and find imperial bleed valves from the same source.
Once you've done tarting, turn it upside down, put some fittings on, get some water in it then pump it up to 1 bar or more and leave it for an hour or so, see if there's any pressure drop

you are taking on a lot of work there, I would think twice, if the section seals are gone it is a big job for a diyer to replace them

Sponsored Links
Strip paint and then pressure test to see if they are sound before you do anything. Fill with water and pump to at least 3bar.

You do need to size them properly though, not just a case of swapping for what you have.

Sometime better to get them properly refurbished, as suggested though, not cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back