How to detect presence of RSJ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to confirm that Cowboy builders fitted a (suitable) steel where they said they did.

The steel should be under the rear-facing wall of a back bedroom, above our extended open-plan kitchen.

I do have the LABC Completion Certificate, but the application was done on a Building Notice basis only, not a Full Plans basis, and there are various other problems which seem to have eluded LABC.

Will a stud detector help?

Sponsored Links
You may be able to detect the presence of metal with certain detectors but these will not be able to tell you what size the steel is, whether they are bolted together, if there is a padstone underneath or ascertain the quality of the fit.

Nor will a detector be able do differentiate between rebar and steel beams.

Thanks noseall.

I called LABC today who said that they never received any Engineers Calcs for the RSJ's (I have copies of some Calcs which seem to relate to my extension) and therefore have no notes of any RSJs being inspected!!

That said, the chap i spoke to thought that their inspector wouldn't have signed off the job if he had seen something wrong.

For me this is a very weak response. How would the inspector know if the beams were the correct size, just from a cursory glance? Especially if he happened to visit only when the beams were concealed by the ceiling, etc.

My fears are exacerbated by the fact that same builders fitted an RSJ in my dining room and didnt even bother to use an Engineer at all. I subsequently discovered (with an SE's help) that no, the beam wasnt sufficient size...

Getting quite worried now.

That said, the chap i spoke to thought that their inspector wouldn't have signed off the job if he had seen something wrong.

For me this is a very weak response. How would the inspector know if the beams were the correct size, just from a cursory glance? Especially if he happened to visit only when the beams were concealed by the ceiling, etc.
The bco will be guided by the engineers calculations and specifications, unless he is comfotable with what he saw and is familiar with your type of house and has prior experience.

....or he could be "on the take" :idea: :p :!:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back