How to fill hole in ceiling with mains cable!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, could anyone advise on how to fix a hole in my ceiling? I was removing a mains powered smoke alarm, the fixture holding the alarm to the plaster was very loose and crumbling. After removing this I have been left with a fist sized hole in the ceiling with the mains cable hanging from it.

I have read varies methods to fix a hole but none take into account having a cable to plaster around(the cable has a choc block attached for the connection to the smoke alarm).

Has anyone got a good method to fix this?

Thanks in advance for all advise.

Sponsored Links
see if you can scrounge a small piece of plasterboard addy and a small piece of plasterboard
1 cut the plasterboard to size (just a bit bigger than the hole)
2 make a hole in the plasterboard for the wire to come through (thread it through this) also make another hole for a piece of string to go through, make a knot in string, thread it through hole, only do this if you cant access the ceiling from above.
3 put some plasterboard addy around outside of the plasterboard
4 place the plasterboard up through the hole
5 pull on string till firm,
5 fill with bonding to level out, job done

OR...

cut out a square from the ceiling, use this as template and cut a fresh new piece, make a hole in it for the cables.

then cut 2 pieces of timber batten, put them on the other side of the hole in the ceiling to make 2 bars across the hole, screw through from the room side and into the timbers securing them in place, then you can screw your new piece of board into the 2 exposed bits of timber, and use easifill to fill out flush and sand smooth.

not sure that makes sense with just words so hope this helps!

Steves way also a good way of skinning the same cat!! :D

Sponsored Links
sabrefix patches available at screwfix for about 3 quid then nice bit of filler over the top mabey 2 coats sand down once dry jobs a goodun cost you bout a fiver and a v inexperienced person can get a good finish.
JRP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back