How to fill up holes in the wall?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drilled 4 holes and used those long screws with plastic rawlplug attached.

I don't need anymore.

How do I fill up the holes and make invisible?

Ive tried filler in other places around the house and can't figure out how to make invisible - you can always see

Also... 2 of the holes have the rawlplug still in there. Anyway of pulling these out? I've tried pulling out with the fingers and can't. They have a lip on the outside, so I can't push in either. Cutting off the lip could be tricky.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't try to pull them out.

Tap them slightly below the surface (this should have been done when they were first installed)

It is done by putting a screw in the hole and lightly tapping it with a hammer until the plasplug sinks. You don't need to screw it in, just tap.

You remove the screw from the plasplug afterwards, by unscrewing it.

>> 'tap slightly below'?
i always try to make flush.
can you explain why it's a better idea to have slightly under?

but... this rawlplug is different to the others.
see the pic below:

3cFCy9.jpg

should i still do as you have suggested?
thanks.

from your description you might have used frame fixings

An ordinary brown plasplug can be tapped below the surface quite easily.
That means it is less likely to crack the plaster by expanding when you drive a screw in it, and later, you can easily fill a redundant hole by knifing a smear of filler over it. If yours won't tap down, you could try to carve the rim off with a small and very sharp scalpel or craft or utility knife (the disposable or snap-off ones are small). The remaining tube may then tap down.

If you pull it out it is likely to leave a large crater.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links
Put a screw half way in and remove both with a claw hammer, timber under to spread loading so you don't dent the wall. If you leave a bigger hole its easier to fill than a small one.

• Thanks
Toothpaste - I used to work for the MOD managing army houses. When they left a house they got charged for excessive picture hook holes so they used to fill them with toothpaste! To be honest I've seen worse repairs done with proper filler.

Apply the filler in two coats, as it often shrinks a bit. And sand to blend in the edges.

• Thanks
toothpaste? awesome. that sounds so funny

@chris1982 i saw on youtube they do the same. thanks. i'll do as u say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back