How to find a builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am about to embark on the hazardous task that is employing-a-builder-without-personal-recommendation. Are there any tips for finding a good one? Does membership of the Federation of Master Builders etc. minimise the risks?

We want the widening of a doorway in a part load-bearing wall. Should I expect the builder to spec the supporting lintel or do we also have to employ a structural engineer?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Have you spoken to an architect or talked to building control at your local council, beacuse this is a long winded / slightly more expensive way to do things, but it will be correct.

GuyStevens said:
Hi all, I am about to embark on the hazardous task that is employing-a-builder-without-personal-recommendation. Are there any tips for finding a good one? Does membership of the Federation of Master Builders etc. minimise the risks?

We want the widening of a doorway in a part load-bearing wall. Should I expect the builder to spec the supporting lintel or do we also have to employ a structural engineer?

Thanks for any advice.

Anyone can join the federation of master builders as long as they pay the appropriate fee to the organisation, thats all their concerned about, and you get a nice sticker for yor van.
Personal recommendation is always the best option if poss.

Like I said, I've drawn a blank when it comes to personal recommendation. I do intend notifying Building Control but need to get some quotes first.

I guess it's the Yellow Pages and go with my instincts.

Sponsored Links
have a walk around your neighbourhood and see whos doing waht and how they are working. are they tidy clean and making a good job etc. if you see one knock the door of the house they are working on later on and ask what they think of them.takes a little bit of time, but its less of a gamble than pulling a name out if the yellow pages

sorry I sounded a bit pompous. The main reason for involving building control / regs is that you pay your taxes and they can help with the steel beam / lintel spec. installing it is only a days work for a builder and not that difficult.
don't pay any money up-front.

you can use the program superbeam to work out the sizes.

the free trial is ok for what you need as all you canot do is print the results. A workaround is to use the Print Screen button on your pc then you can use paint to print out the results.

I have just gone with a Builder from the FMB and they seam good. i got 3 quotes from FMB builders and 1 from a firm who were working around the corner.

paulandlaura,

No worries. I have already spoken to Building Control and they were of little help. They simply said specifying the lintel was my responsibility. I'm going to ask the neighbours if they have had worked done and get a few numbers from the book.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

My dad was in this predicament (couldn't get someone to recommend a builder). He got some names off an architect and asked a local councillor if he knew someone who did work for the council.

He got three names and asked them for a quote. After getting a quote he asked to see their current/last site and to talk to the owner. After all this he chose one that had the tidiest site and the best review from their current employer. The best thing was that this guy was the cheapest!

The work was top notch and my dad has told him he's happy for people to come around and ask for a reference. This was in Worcestershire if it helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back