How to fit Picture rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After some advice for how to reinstate some picture rails in a bedroom please. The walls are brick and then plastered on top.
I’ve seen loads of sites saying to use a nail gun (who wouldn’t want to own a nail gun!!) and nail into the studs. Obviously we don’t have studs and plaster board so would a nail gun work on a solid wall or is there a better technique.
We would likely want to hang pictures from the rail.

The old and I’m guessing original rail was nailed into place but they’d fitted huge blocks of wood into the brick and then nailed into those. This isn’t something I want to copy. I’ve included a picture of the holes these chunks of wood left after removal.

Any advice on mail guns or a better method would be amazing.

Thank you

Attachments

• 37D8ABA8-3284-45B6-AB9B-8BC87D8FE76C.png
    37D8ABA8-3284-45B6-AB9B-8BC87D8FE76C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Sand surface just to remove old paste or degrading emulsion.
Just go easy as don't want to damage plaster.
Stick on with polymer grab mastic.
Few nail pins on bottom edge so rail don't slide with gravity.
You could add a few screws to a wall (3)
Red plug and 5.5mm masonry bit when polymer is dry, but you will need to go deep enough to grab bricks. Probably need something like 75mm long 3.5mm thick screws. I'm guessing the plaster is not that solid under top surface.

Thanks for the reply. We’ve had the room skimmed and the plasterer (who we trust) didn’t feel it needed taking back to brick so the original plaster below the new skim is ok I think but like you say, probably not amazing.
should I pre drill the rail? Just thinking about getting everything lined up when screwing and keeping it level

That's why a screw after it's stuck.
You got half hour to adjust.
If I'm in a hurry I use 2 small blobs of 2 pack resin wood filler either end and run polymer along back. The resin sets hard in 5 mins holding solid and won't slip.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, thank you :)
stouid question, would the bit and screw size be ok for Fischer duo power plugs too? I’m rubbish at selecting the right size bit and screw for the plugs.

Also, if screwing after it’s stuck, you push the red plug through the rail into the wall? Rather than putting it in the wall and screwing through the rail?

I use fischer red plugs as slim without the flange head.

Nothing stopping you drilling before if you run laser or chalk line around.
I don't find that easier but if you have help holding it could be. I'm always on my own..
Not fitted many over the years though. More repairing bits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back