How to install multipls wireless room thermostats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Drayton Tempus 7 programmer which I use to control 2 separate central heating systems (upstairs & downstairs) - presumably I am using the central heat and hot water functions for both central heating systems (hot water timer is separate). Everything works fine.

I would like to install a wireless thermostat (1 for each system) to better control the temperature in the house. The problem is that I cannot find documentation for this older Tempus 7 (I would guess that it is 10 years old or more).

Some questions that I have about this are:

Are there any special considerations for installing 2 separate wireless room thermostats to control separate heating systems? Will they conflict?

Do I have to have 2 separate base units connected to the programmer?

Do I have to upgrade the old Tempus 7? If so, do I need another programmer to connect the thermostat base units to? Or can I get wireless thermostats with timers built in? Is there a recommended way to do this?

Thanks,

Neal Johnson.

Sponsored Links
I cannot find documentation for this older Tempus 7
Tempus 7 Instructions may be helpful.

Are there any special considerations for installing 2 separate wireless room thermostats to control separate heating systems? Will they conflict?
No reason why they should conflict. Each receiver/transmitter pair is "bound together". I am not sure if this is done by using different frequencies or some code system (as in car key systems)

Do I have to have 2 separate base units connected to the programmer?
At least. Ideally you need three. If you have just two, one could be telling the boiler to turn off and, at the same time, the other could be asking the boiler to turn on. The third Base Unit acts as the "synchroniser" to prevent such conflicts.

Do I have to upgrade the old Tempus 7? If so, do I need another programmer to connect the thermostat base units to?
No reason to ditch it.

can I get wireless thermostats with timers built in?
Yes. Look at the Honeywell CM921 or CM927.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back