How to install new electric fire within fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I m buying a new fireplace http://www.fireplace.co.uk/online-s...ireplaces/product-104/walton-marble-fireplace and would like to fit an electic fir such as this one http://www.fireplace.co.uk/online-s...ectric-fires/product-242/valor-nano-dimension

I thought about getting the wall hanging ones which would have meant no need for a fireplace, but the problem with them is that having it one the wall means they will stick out a little because I won't be able to make an opening in the wall as I am not really a DIY person. Althought having it fit inside the wall with only the front sticking out (bit like some people do with plasma TVs) would look nice. Even if I to get builder to dig up the wall, it would be a wall that provides structural support. Would it be possible to make an opening on the kind of surface?

My questions are following:

1) How realistic are the flames produced by these electric fires?

2) Is the electric fire connected by a standard plug?

3) Do I need a professional installer to fit the fireplace surround (like the Walton fireplace shown above), or is it simply a case of just lining it up against the wall where you wnat to place it?

4) Is an inset fire (like the one shown above) easy to install inside the fireplace (like the one shown above)? Would someone like myself with very little experience of doing handy work around the home, be able to do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
  1. Depends on the eye of the beholder. Go and see one working.
  2. Ask the maker or retailer.
  3. IHNI how hard they are to fit - you need to look at one in the flesh and look at the installation instructions and decide if you can do it. I would caution against making something like this your first DIY project.
  4. Ditto

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back