How to locate a cable in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So I now live in my refurbished house great! The problem is that I decided to install lots of few cabling into the wall to bring my house into the 21st century.

So for example the two bedrooms have three Ethernet cables running from them to the Zero Node under my stairs.

Now this is where im confused I planned to install Free Sat into my house I currently have alot of coaxial cable in the wall which my dad helped install but its unclear what goes where.

I assume I can use an Alter meter to run a current through one end of a cable and use another Altermeter in another room to see where it comes out ?

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
Well there's your first lesson- mark your cables (and check for continuity) BEFORE you decorate.

I hope you mean MULTImeter not an Altermeter (dunno what that would do). At the bedroom end of your coax, strip back and ensure that the centre core is not in contact with the screen. At the other end, strip back as above then use your MULTImeter on Continuity setting between core and screen- all cables should be open circuit (infinite impedance). Go back to the bedroom, twist the core and screen of ONE cable together and MARK it (any unique ID will do, usual deal PVC tape and a Sharpie). Go back to the other end, again use multimeter on Continuity (or Ohms) until you find the cable showing a short circuit (zero or near enough impedance). Mark that with the same ID as the other end. Repeat for all cables.

Sponsored Links
But you'd have to fit connectors on both ends to use it and it only works at the ends where you make connections. Much simpler and quicker to croc clip the toner on to bare ends at one end and wave the probe around the other, plus you can use the probe anywhere along the run even if the cable is buriedn in wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back