How to make drawers, a step by step guide!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I had to make some drawers today to go into the study. I also built all the units in there a while ago, but hadn't quite finished the job! There has been an ugly hole where the drawers are supposed to go ever since.

So here goes. I built them using 18mm MDF and 3mm hardboard from B&Q and drawer runners from Screwfix. The runners, in hindsight, were the wrong ones. The ones I bought have a large bracket to hold the drawer. I prefer the smaller runners that are the same size on both sides of the runner (if you know what I mean!)

Step 1.
Make sure you have a willing helper, it makes things much easier! Bless her, she's only 2 and won't let me go to the workshop alone!

step000.jpg

Right, here are the runners. See what I mean about them having deep sides!

step00.jpg

Step 2.

Very important!! Do a sketch first. You will only end up in tears if you cut all your wood and realise you didn't take something into account!

step0.jpg

Step 3.

Cut your timber. If you have a skillsaw, clamp a straight piece of wood onto the timber you are cutting, making sure you measure the distance from the edge of the blade to the edge of the saw's baseplate and compensate when marking off. (See where I made a mark for the size I wanted, then added 30mm to compensate) If you have a local B&Q that offers a cutting service, I would reccomend getting your wood cut to size. It is easy enough to cut large sheets of timber at home using this method, but lots of small pieces proves to be a bit more tricky!!

step1.jpg

Step 4.

Once you have all your wood cut to size, drill and countersink the ends of 2 of the pieces.

step2.jpg

Apply a thin bead of glue to the ends of the other bits of wood

step3.jpg

and screw the whole lot together. (I used 3.5x25mm wood screws)

step4.jpg

If you are making larger drawers or doing any other kind of similar work, you can use a special clamp (called Clarence, or Clarence the clamp ;) ) to hold the 2 bits of wood together. It makes things a whole lot easier! I bought these at a car boot sale for 99p each!

step5.jpg

Step 5.

Now for the hardboard (which I prepared earlier and costs under £2 for a large sheet!) Place the hardboard onto the frame you have just assembled, shiny face towards the inside of the drawer. Align and nail it down along one edge only. Then use your square to make sure then sides are all square and put a couple of nails in the opposite corners to hold it all together.

step6.jpg

Here's the finished article:

step7.jpg

Now screw the runners on. You might find it easier to clamp them in place and then screw them on the stop them moving. Make sure the front of the runner is in line with the front of the drawer.

step8.jpg

Now, you have to screw the other side of the runners into the unit. Make sure you measure properly and get them aligned nicely. Also, make sure the front of the runner is in line with the front of the face of the unit.

step9.jpg

Then just slide them home! If you measured properly they should be a snug fit!

step10.jpg

Next you need to make the fronts for the drawers. I haven't done that yet because I ran out of wood! :( I'll add that bit next week when I get some more wood!

Sponsored Links
Step one looks the same as step five and step five looks the same as the finished article. Anyone can make an 'x' in a box. :rolleyes: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back