How to prepare bathroom ceiling for skimming

Sponsored Links
It looks like a condensation problem does that extractor work? and where does the outlet from it go? I would drop the ceiling and put a new one up maybe using moiture resistant board. It looks like the plasterboard might be damp in places get a reputable plasterer in to give you an idea of price and to check wether it needs changed or not...It looks too far gone to me but get a second opinion... ;)

Agree with you there Roy! deffo extractor issues, and the board looks shot in the corner.

As the guys have said Ollie, it's an awful mess. You'd be far quicker taking the old ceiling down and put up a new one.

Sponsored Links
Is there some way I can just treat it and then skim over. I'd rather not have such a major job of taking the ceiling down. This means clearing a load of stuff out of the loft and pulling up all the boards and insulation.

Is there some way I can just treat it and then skim over. I'd rather not have such a major job of taking the ceiling down. This means clearing a load of stuff out of the loft and pulling up all the boards and insulation.

Why?
You would just rip out the boards from below. Be a bit careful with the extractor obviously.

edit: sorry, i see what you mean as regards the insulation. I'll butt out until someone better versed can advise.

Ok Ollie,,, providing the plasterboard is sound and it's condensation that's caused the problem, give the ceiling a "really thorough" clean over with some bleach/water to get rid of the mould. Let it dry thoroughly, then go over the whole ceiling with a coat of oil based" underdercoat to seal the ceiling.Let that dry too, then PVA and skim while pva is wet/tacky. I've plastered many a ceiling this way, (water stained/nicotine stained etc). Add a drop of food colouring to the pva before you put it on, so you can see where you have been. Only go this way if the plasterboard is sound, otherwise, take it down and re- board. Be very careful with your eyes and skin when washing the ceiling with the bleach, and get more ventilation into the room, plus use a good quality bathroom paint. Don't forget to mist coat the new plaster when it's dried out, with thinned down "matt emulsion" before you put on the finished coats of paint. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back