How to remove chimney breast and hearth, joists extended etc!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I’m in the process of gutting a property. It’s a 3 story Victorian house converted into 3 flats, I am working on flat 2 of 3. The chimney in flat above has been removed, but the hearth wasn’t removed.

I need help working out how to remove the concrete hearth without it dropping down in one piece and squashing me as I can’t work from above,

And I also need help with how I can extend the joists where the concrete hearth is in the ceiling so that the structure is sound.

Please please give me any advice you can!

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• EC3467A3-959A-433D-9C10-01FA6BA401D9.jpeg
    EC3467A3-959A-433D-9C10-01FA6BA401D9.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
The chimney in flat above has been removed, but the hearth wasn’t removed.

I need help working out how to remove the concrete hearth without it dropping down in one piece and squashing me as I can’t work from above
You need to build a well supported planked crash deck just below the concrete and remove the concrete by chipping it away. Even if working from above you would still need a crash deck. This may require a temporary frame work made up from 3 x 2s screwed together to make 4 x 3s, and with diagonal bracing. It's the sort of job I'd do with scaffolding or a scaffolding tower and planking, the idea being to limit the distance the waste material drops to a foot or two

...I also need help with how I can extend the joists where the concrete hearth is in the ceiling so that the structure
You need to set your Acrows just over a metre back from the ends of the joists so that you can get a decent length of extension in there, with at least two coach bolts and more than 600mm of overlap (ideally a metre). New joist ends should be connected to a ledger at the wall using twist nails, the ledger to be Rawl bolted ot resin anchored to the masonry

Last edited by a moderator:
Why bother extending the joists when the opening is already trimmed. Just fill in and board over. Those old joists can take it. I always prefer when the joists run that way, if they go the other way you usually have a big sag on the one they notch for the hearth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back