How To Repair Damaged Lintle Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

Whilst removing a very stuborn curtain rail I heard that horrible sound of the underlying ender failing causing a crack along a third of the window lintle.

I am about to get the room re-plastered and need to know how to go about repairing the lintle.

If I carefully remove the damaged area what is the best way to re-render and get a nice clean right angle above the window?

What mix of sand cement and what type, I've got Bricklaying Mortar/Cement and Pointing Mortar/Cement but have read that for rendering you need a cement mix with sharp sand to assist when plastering?

TVM
The Pictures Below Show the window but after I took them I realized you cannot see the crack at all, it is on the underside of the window lintle and runs from the left side about 1/3 to 1/2 way towards the centre of the window. Following the line of the joint between the render and the brickwork (The point of failure)

Sponsored Links
Your plasterer will sort that out for you whilst doing the skimming.

Yes but the render is loose and needs replacing as we will be fitting a new curtain rail in it's place so surely the render will need to be replaced first?

he'll just use a bit of bonding to sort it out, .....am i allowed to say bonding os is that more free advertising........bonding..oops i said it again....will be plenty strong enough to hold your curtain pole

Sponsored Links

I would agree with what Alastair has said. The plaster on the lintel/soffit has probably blown. It needs to be removed and replastered. Not a major job, but i would leave it for your plasterer to do. When the plastering's finished,, re-fix the curtain pole by drilling through into the concrete lintel itself,, use adequate rawl plugs/screws,, and it'll never come loose.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back