how to replace boiler thermsostat on Ideal Boiler Moder 5oN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 20yr old Ideal Gas c/h boiler model 50N which takes ages to switch on again after top temperature reached. Thought I'd replace the boiler thermostat. Bit worried by the boiler end of it. There's a fixing pin across the opening the probe disappears into. Do I simply remove this pin and the probe comes out? Or do I have remove the inner sleeve (nut?).

(Haven't bought the new thermostat, not yet located a web site with my model on it - the BGC no is 41/409/13 )

Sponsored Links
DONT remove the nut! Only the pin and it should slide out! Best to add some heat transfer paste if you replace it in your case.

But before you change it, you should measure the boiler flow temperature. The new hysteresis is usually about 6° but this can get larger as it ages.

However the problem could be associated with the pump and flow so measuring the temperature is advisable first!

Tony

Tony - many thanks for that.

You could be right about the flow rate. The pump was replaced only a few years ago but the problem is worse with only the c/h circuit (micro-bore) on by itself. If I add in the h/w it improves a little (though still not satisfactory imo).

The thermostat is the easier job but from what you say it may be a waste of money!

Murray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back