How to replace roof tile

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A roof tile has come loose.
I've looked up youtube. You need to lift above tiles up and slot in the new one.
The tile I have missing is the one right at the top. So not sure what to do.

See pics below.
QHT6W6j.jpg

eIt0jYl.jpg

+ One corner of the tile has broken off. Should I try to glue this back on?
Or do I need a new tile? If so, I need to cut a corner off

ALSO... should I venture up and try to fix myself?

I've been up on the roof at that point where the tile has come off - I climbed up there about 2 years ago.
I was going to try and fix our roof aerial.
Then I bottled it. Sliding across to the other side seemed to be daunting!

To get to the location, I don't need to tread on the middle of tiles. It's a cross between a new roof where we have an extension and the old roof - so, will be along a beam.

Or maybe I should scrap the whole idea and just a get a professional? :)

Sponsored Links
Is the cost worth the risk of death or, even worse, a life confined to a bed or wheelchair?

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Is the cost worth the risk of death or, even worse, a life confined to a bed or wheelchair?
Erm... no!
Thanks for pointing out an idiotic idea of mine
I won't be climbing that roof

But would still like to know where and how to replace the tile
I'll get the guy who repaired the TV aerial to do

Thanks

Christmas 2019 (before Covid). I worked for a loaded family. The son of the family lived in Brighton.

He decided to put this own Christmas lights up on the bargeboards.

He is now destined to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links
I am not a roofer, but I suspect that it may be possible to angle grind away some of the pointing away to be able to lift the tile to the required angle. Do you really think your TV guy can do that?

With respect, I think you need a roofer.

That said, please wait until the roofers here offer further advice. There a few of them that seem to offer very sound advice.

I do not understand why the tile slipped out in the first place.

No idea why the tile slipped
It's been up there for 6 years - that's when we had the extension done
A neighbour from opposite knocked on our door and told us
When I climbed onto part of the extension (that part is safe) I found the whole tile

Dear Rod hull,
As you have already mentioned you found the roof daunting.
I always say if you have to think about it dont do it.
To do this repair properly the end ridge and top hip need to come off. tile is then replaced and secured. ridge and hip gets bedded back on.

Fwiw the mitre is a lash up anyway so id guess the tiles was never seated properly certainly not nailed.

No idea why the tile slipped
It's been up there for 6 years - that's when we had the extension done
A neighbour from opposite knocked on our door and told us
When I climbed onto part of the extension (that part is safe) I found the whole tile

It is odd.

As a lay person, I cannot see anything obvious.

As an aside. I am a decorator. In my early 20's heights didn't bother me.

One day, I climbed off the ladder on to a slate roof to reach bits that could not be done from the ladder. After painting it, I had to climb back on to the ladder- for some reason, I was happy to climb off ladders, but on this occasion, didn't want to climb back on to it.

I spent about 10 mins sitting on the pitched roof and realised that the longer I sat there, the more likely I was to get cramp and be unable to get back on to the ladder.

I now insist on scaffolding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back