How to Shine Up an Oiled Parquet Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. I recently sanded down my parquet floor with 120 grit paper ready for oiling. Used Sandolene Floor Oil for the "warm silky sheen finish" they advertised but now after 3 coats as recommended and after 3 days of the oil sinking in, the floor has anything but a silky sheen...it is completely dull and lifeless with no hint at all of a nice sheen. Can anyone suggest a good polish or something else I can use....eg. could I apply a hard wax finish on top?

I really don't want to use varnish or anything similar so here's hoping someone can help to bring my floor back again

Sponsored Links
Applying different finishes to and existing finish is always a dodgy business. But if you know your product is oil based then have a look at OSMO satin finish. Unlike ronseal or Sandolene as you call it, it does exactly what it says on the tin !!
Joking aside, it is a quality product that does work and the finish is satin...

http://www.sadolin.co.uk/homeowner/products/interior/flooroil/description

This sounds like your product. I believe it is a Pine or Linseed Oil product, unhelpfully Sadolin have loaded the Material Safety Data Sheet Twice but not loaded the Product Data Sheet! Then under Hints and Tips for Floor Oil it has instructions on how to Lacquer a floor!

These types of products can be overcoated with Hardwax Oils but I would urge a word of caution. Most traditional penetrating oils are only a 2 coat system, a third coat would normally leave surface residue, detracting from the look and giving a very patchy effect. If you do use a Hardwax Oil make sure the surface is even in effect before overcoating, then only use a single coat of HWO.

Alternatively give them a call to find out why the product has not given the effect they promised on the tin.

http://www.sadolin.co.uk/homeowner/products/interior/flooroil/support

TT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back