how to square double door frame - loose pieces oak frame, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have bough 2 glazed oak doors for my lounge and a double door oak lining set which is all loose pieces and 2 sets of oak architrave.

I can square a spirit level the frame as I put it in but how do I insure the door edge butt up to each other perfectly, ie if one side of the frame is even slightly in or out of the room compared to the other then the doors will not meet perfectly?

I'm installing this set into my old 1930's house which has breeze block walls and all is not perfectly square when it comes to walls.

Is there a video anywhere online that shows how to set up the double door frame to insure the doors butt up to each other perfectly?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I had to fit a double door with frame to an arch, the arch wasn't too bad but I wanted to get the doors spot on, they were oak veneered doors from Howdens and once you finish them with some Osmo Matt they look awesome. Anyway Me being me, I over-engineered the job but it worked well.

So, I built the frame and to get the width I'd need I used the door width's plus a 2mm gap in between and also allowed for the hinge gap, which would be approx 2-3mm after being recessed into the frame and door. I then fitted a batten across the centre of the frame and also near the bottom and finally screwed an oak threshold I'd made from some leftover oak floor-boarding. The height of the frame was calculated as the height of the door plus a 2mm gap at the top and a 2mm gap at the bottom. All of this removes having to trim the doors down.

With the frame built and laid on the ground I place two pence coins top and bottom and also at the hinge sides and stuck them in place with some blue frog tape. Next laid each door into the recess (This is why I placed the battens in the middle and near the bottom) and fitted a few two pence coins in the middle between the doors (perfect fit) Then I locked them in place with two more battens across the front screwed into the frame edges.

Lifting and moving this setup was a two person job, in part because of the weight but also because its a lot of wood to move about.

Make sure that this frame is going onto a level surface, it makes the job so much easier but you could fit wood or plastic frame shims to level if needed.

The rest of the job was just making sure the studding around the frame was strong and well fixed. Once the frame was fixed to the studding you can mark for hinges and remove the doors to fit the hinges and door furniture.

Thats how I did it but I'm sure there is an easier way o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back