How to stop a tap from leaking (cant remove tap handle)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need help please!!!

I have a 3 hole bathroom tap set for my washbasin.

Not sure what brand they are but they look similar to the bristan 1901 three hole pillar taps (no idea why there are no labels on the tap).

The hot tap is dripping (already forming a blue stain in the basin) and makes a funny squeaky noise if a hot water tap in the kitchen is being used.

I removed the cap on the top of tap to find no screw, its a flat space at the top of the pillar style tap handle. I have tried lifting the whole tap handle with no joy.

I have no idea of how i can get to the washer/valve/disc...any ideas?

I have uploaded pictures if it helps.

I am desperate and would appreciate any advice or instructions on how I can get to to the parts required to be replaced to stop the dripping.

Sponsored Links
I would guess that they have a ceramic cartridge and are quarter turn.

Replacement cartridge usually required, but in the mean time you could, isolate supply, remove head and cartridge, place a thin fibre washer inside tap hole, then refit cartridge which will hopefully close any gaps between ceramic faces.

Al

edit : where are the pics ?

pics found, I would think a screw is beneath the white cap at top.

thanks Al,

I lifted the white cap and nothing...its just a flat metal surface at the top of the handle and there is no screw...

I cant get the handle off either and have no idea what brand or model it is :(

Any more ideas as I can seam to get to the parts?

I have added a new pic after removing the white cap.

Your mixer is not a Bristan 1901, but it is a similar design. The valve itself is probably underneath the worktop.

Theres a technical drawing of the 1901 here

Sponsored Links
hi charnwood, thanks for the info.

i have added a photo of under the basin, it is similar to the diagram u posted.

would be grateful if u could provide instructions of what i need to do from under the sink if possible? even if i can de assemble from underneat will i still not have a problem given i cant get the tap off? :s

any advice is much appreciated as i think my wife is near to divorcing me if i don't sort it out :eek:

thanks

Looking at it with my logical head on:

Turn off the water.
Undo the 2 swivel nuts that are attached to the piece marked 'TESTED' in your pic.
Undo the 'TESTED' piece.
I assume there will be a washer in there.
(You might need to loosen the washer holding the top assembly in place to allow for the removal of 'TESTED'.)
The 'tap' you refer to is just the handle showing above the worktop. 'TESTED' is really the tap workings, I'm fairly sure.

I only sell the stuff, so don't take the above as gospel. My only practical experience is changing a few inlet valves, swapping a couple of syphons for flapper valves and swapping some cross-top tap heads for lever revivers.

Oh, and before CORGI really got its teeth stuck in I converted a few boilers from town to natural gas in the early 70s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back