How to tell if a large pipe in my cellar is used/disused?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK. I have a cellar with a large metal pipe (approx 1.5") running into the cellar, through a T-junc and then into both next door houses (in terrace). I really want to get rid of it when creating a decent room out of the cellar. House is 1894 yorkshire terrace.

Water main is through the other side of the house (survey confirms), lecky and gas are in a different place too.

Only entry through the wall the pipe is pretty large (3") and has a square end
with the pipe into and up the cellar wall as described above.

Can I surmise that this is an old water main? How can I tell if it's disused?

Sponsored Links
I think you ought to post a picture of your own pipe, not someone else's.

At that size it could well be an old iron gas pipe and might still be live :eek:

Follow it along and see what is on the other end.

Will post a pic when I get home.

Thanks for the warning re: possible gas main - I just assumed it would be water :oops:

OK here's the pipe coming through the wall
pipe2.jpg

The inlet pipe is abut 2.5" and the pipe in the cellar 1" 3/8. The square key kitting on the end is 1"

and here's a tap/stop cock of some description where it goes into the cellar stairs:
pipe1.jpg

If I turn the stop cock, nothing happens, but since the main pipe runs into other people's cellars am I ok to cut out my section?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Drill a hole in it, if it leaks....stick your finger over it!! :D

If all water runs freely and nothing is affected then you might says its disused.

what about unscrewing the gland nut from stopcock??

Might get a drip hence still water there??

Drill a hole in it, if it leaks....stick your finger over it!!

bucket under it if water comes out

upside down bucket over it if its gas :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think it looks like gas too, but the lead pipe curling round behind it more likely water.

Presumably you can get NG or SGN to come and have a look and declare it dead (or not)

I would be really, really reluctant to drill a hole in iot or cut it open without being sure.

Its an incoming gas pipe, and the lead was probably the house supply from the meter.

If you turn that plugcock on and stick ya nose in the end you will smell it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back