How to terminate coving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am about to cove the downstairs hallway with 127mm plaster coving from B&Q and have awkward section where 1 end of the coving will not terminate in a corner join. Is there a technique of cutting it so the end looks neat?

I ask this because normally the ends join together either at an internal or external corner but for my application the end will be exposed, and is directly facing the stairway, so visible when you walk down.

Sponsored Links
What I have seen (not a lot) its cut square.
You could always try on a scrap length, cutting it at an angle & see what it looks like.

I'll try and explain although i am not promising you will understand it (that will be my fault not yours :oops: )

cut the coving where you want it to end as per an exterior corner mitre cut. Cut another piece as per the return for an exterior corner cut. trim this piece flush with the back of the first piece then fix in place. This forms a blanking piece and forms a nice return. Confused.....I just read it and i am :cry: failing all that buy an end stop from B&Q probably easier ;)

If I put a length of coving in a downstairs hallway and it ends where the stairwell begins (as a square cut end), I would finish this as an external mitre, the same as D.S.D ....... Cut the square end of the longer length to an external 45 degree mitre, and then cut a very small 45 degree external mitre return and fix it in. It gives a really neat finish.Practice it a few times on some scrap pieces. If you can do mitres, you can do this.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
a little bit of thought and I too could have explained it like Roughcaster :( but what he said is what I meant :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks guys, that what I was thinking too. I'm pretty good with mitres and have made some really small sections up in the past to get around box sections/pipework, so will try and see how small I can get this one to make a return. ;)

What do the B&Q end pieces look like then? :?:

Err, yeah, you cut a zero length external mitre. Which really explains it well.

The British Gypsum web address Confidentincompitent posted says it all. Section 5, Stop End. I do it that way all the time. It needs little explanation.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back